Monday, August 13, 2012

DIY Group - Meeting #2

The second meeting of the DIY Group was hosted by the lovely Sara, in her back yard. It was a very peaceful sort of day, quiet and simple, and not too hot. The shade from the big trees certainly helped. Sara made some nifty food for the meeting. She made lunch - Quinoa w/ kalamata olives, tomatoes, zucchini, and feta cheese; iced green tea; and super yummy, red velvet cupcakes w/ cream cheese frosting! Yay!




There was no designated theme for this meeting. Everyone just worked on whatever project they've been meaning to work on. On our first meeting there were three girls, then on the second meeting there were four. Welcome to the group Jenette...


Jenette made a bag out of an old silk top. It came out really neat and very vintage looking. She had been meaning to make something out that fabric for a few years. It's a great example of why I wanted to create this group in the first place, to motivate people and give them a reason to finally do that project that's been in the back on their minds and the back of a drawer for a while, because in regular every day life you just don't have time to bother with something as 'trivial' as a little DIY project. So putting together a group, where you can both socialize and be productive, gives a person the opportunity to do something they've only thought of doing and finding the time to actually do it.

working on the bag.
Sara's doggie hung out with us...


Liz being Silly...


Sara and her cupcakes... [they matched her dress. it's a nice color on her.]


Sara wasn't fully sure what she wanted to make. She finished the feather from the last meeting and she began working on an other embroidered piece. She thought about maybe putting the pieces together to make an elaborate headband. I personally think that sounds extremely cool. Here's the finished feather...


Liz, once again, completed [or nearly so] two projects. She made another turban headband and shortened a really cute skirt, adding a neat sewing design at the hem. I should have gotten a shot of the stitch design, but I didn't think to.


Pretty!


That's one cute skirt! Very retro. When she finishes the stitching and makes a complete outfit with it, I'll be sure to take pictures!

making friends with doggie.
Below: This is what I started out with. It's a complete, fully attached, three-piece pant suit, padded shoulders included! My plan is to make a cute little dress out of it. I spent the majority of the meeting ripping seams and detaching the red jacket. I can't wait to finish this DIY look and show you! I haven't been able to spend any time on it since the meeting, but it really shouldn't take much time to complete, so hopefully I can find some time at home and get it finished, then take pictures!


It was a really fun meeting and the food was sooo yummy! I am so happy this is happening and working out. We're having our next meeting pretty soon, probably next week. And, I'll be setting up a class soon, where someone with experience teaches the rest of us how to make something specific. Before Summer ends I would like to make my very own tank top, so that's what I think we'll do for our first DIY class.

Oh look, it's me...


I had my hair down when I got there, but I put it up when I got hot and then forgot to put it back down again for pictures. Ohhhh, well.


Photo bombing...



Until the next meeting...

Remember, you don't have to be a member to share your DIY projects. We want to see them! If you have anything you've altered or made you can email me photos of the process or just the end result. Email me!

Thanks for reading!

- MaryAnne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!